Search for missing Telemong senior citizen continues

Photo by NST

 

The search and rescue (SAR) operation for the last victim of the Kampung Seri Telemong water column incident in Bentong on Dec 18 will continue but on a smaller scale.

Pahang Fire and Rescue Department assistant director (Operations) Ismail Abdul Ghani said SAR for Ahmad Yahya, 71, which entered its tenth day yesterday had not unearthed any new leads.

“After discussing with the police, we decided to stand down until we get new clues but firemen and villagers will continue searching on a smaller scale. Several teams were previously involved in the SAR operations conducted both on land and water.

“The department’s Water Rescue Unit (PPDA) divers along with the K9 (dog) unit have been searching at various locations along the river where the victim fell. Rescuers have been carrying out searches on foot along the river banks and under the piles of wood and debris (swept during the floods),” he said in a statement today.

Ahmad was among 16 people swept away by raging murky river waters while on a bridge at Sungai Telemong at about 2am on Dec 19. 10 people were found safe and five bodies have been recovered.

Ahmad from Felda Chemomoi near Karak is among three people who are reported missing due to flood-related incidents in Pahang.

Meanwhile, a male adult is still missing at the Bobby Eco Camp along the Kuala Lumpur-Karak Expressway after he was swept away by a column of water on Dec 18 with two others.

On Dec 21, rescuers found the remains of Yap Koon Lan, 66, and six-year-old Emmanuel Chang Li Zheng, who came to the resort with his family, was found the following day.

The identity of the last missing person is believed to be Yap’s husband, who is the resort owner Bobby Lim Yoke Hoong in his 60s.

Meanwhile, rescuers are still trying to locate Mohd Firdaus Supiardi, 26, who was reported missing after jumping off a bridge and was swept away by strong currents in Sungai Belat near Kampung Sri Damai in Kuantan on Dec 18.

NST

Leave a Reply