Indonesia looking to extend railway network by 2030

JAKARTA: Indonesia targets to extend the national railway network to 10,524 kilometres by 2030.

The Transportation Ministry Directorate General of Railways, Zulfikri, revealed the extension plans for the network, which currently spans 7,032km, according to the Antara news agency.

He said this during a hearing meeting with Commission V of the House of Representatives (DPR RI) at the Parliament Complex here on Wednesday.

“We have decided on the national railways’ vision (that targets) 10,524 km (of railway network nationwide), including 3,755 km of urban railway networks by 2030,” he said.

The current length of the railway network, which is 7,032 km, is expected to increase to 7,451 km by 2024 as more railway projects get completed, Zulfikri added.

The development plans are based on the National Railways Master plan, he said and noted this include the development of the railway network in Sumatra and Sulawesi islands, double-track railways, electrification of main lines, and high-speed railway in Java region.

The master plan is also targeting the operation of 2,839 locomotives and 34,178 trains for passenger services, as well as 2,475 locomotives and 48,364 trains for freight railways, Zulfikri said.

A budget of at least 835 trillion rupiah (RM247b) is needed to achieve the master plan target.

To achieve this, about 32 percent of the funding would be sourced from the state budget while the remaining 68 percent would be sourced through alternative funding schemes.

“We will make our effort to realise national railways that are competitive, integrated, and responsive to changes. Another target is to make railway services the backbone of intercity, urban, and freight mass transportation,” Zulfikri said.

The main projects until 2024 include the development of the Makassar-Parepare railway system, the Jakarta-Bandung High-Speed Railway, and the first stage of improvement of the Jakarta-Surabaya railway system on the Jakarta-Semarang railway section.

NST

Leave a Reply