By – TPJ
1. While BN’s “friends” and foes in Parliament are double-teaming to slam dunk Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi on his “Discharged Not Amounting To Acquittal” (DNAA) case, the silence among the BN MP’s who pledged their allegience to him is almost deafening!
2. Most conspicuous is the absence of the UMNO law minister from taking the floor to present her argument.
DNAA ISSUE SHOULD HAUNT GUAN ENG & SHAHIDAN
3. Last week, Perikatan Nasional MPs, from the start of sitting, went to town seeking to debate on the DNAA issue. Then, it was followed by DAP namely Lim Guan Eng who probably had a temporary amnesia forgetting that he himself was handed down with a sweetheart judgement which was a “full acquittal” on the recommendation of the then Attorney General Tommy Thomas in 2018.
4. Fortunately for him, the BN/UMNO MPs then, like now, were lackadaisical in their duties and failed to demand for Tommy Thomas to appear before the Select Committee with the same vigour that DAP and PN are showing in Parliament today. It’s no wonder how BN got whacked to the bones in the GE15 recently.
5. After Guan Eng, came another of our allies from PKR who sang the same tune of the opposition trying to paint a grim picture of BN/ UMNO by seeking an explanation on the DNAA issue.
6. BN MPs (barring those who are persona non grata in UMNO) can’t remain quiet in this circumstance.
7. They must either come out in support to call for the Attorney General to present himself to the Select Committee or object to it in favour of the positive outcome by the Court on Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.
8. We have to state our stand either way.
9. Remaining silent is like being a weak orphan in Parliament begging to be adopted by anyone for shelter.
10. For reference, these are the BN Members in the current Parliament.
Deputy Speaker of The House:
Dato Ramli b Mohd Noor (Cameron Highlands)
Datuk Seri Dr Zahid Hamidi (Bagan Datok)
Datuk Seri Utama Mohamed b Hassan (Rembau)
Datuk Seri Mohamed Khaled B Nordin (Kota Tinggi)
Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said (Pengerang)
Datuk Seri Ahmad b Maslan (Pontian)
Datuk Siti Aminah bt Aching (Beaufort)
Datuk Seri Abdul Rahman b Mohamad (Lipis)
Datuk Seri Dr. Shamsul Anuar Bin Haji Nasarah (Lenggong)
Datuk Arthur Joseph Kurop (Pensiangan)
Datuk Mohamad b Alamin (Kimanis)
Datuk Seri Saravanan (Tapah)
Datuk Indera Mohamad Shahar b Abdullah (Paya Besar)
Dato’ Sri Sh Mohmed Puzi Bin Sh Ali (Pekan)
Dato’ Sri Ismail b Yaakob (Bera)
Datuk Seri Johari Bin Abdul Ghani (Titiwangsa)
Datuk Seri Jalaluddin Bin Alias (Jelebu)
Dato’ Haji Shamshulkahar Bin Mohd Deli (Jempol)
Dato’ Adnan Bin Abu Hassan (Kuala Pilah)
Dato’ Mohd Isam Bin Mohd Isa (Tampin)
Datuk Seri Dr. Noraini Binti Ahmad (Parit Sulong)
Datuk Seri Ir.Dr. Wee Ka Siong (Air Hitam)
Datuk Seri Utama Hasni Bin Mohamed (Simpang Renggam)
Dato’ Seri Hishammuddin Bin Datuk Hussein (Sembrong)
Tuan Haji Manndzri Bin Nasib (Tenggara)
Datuk Seri Dr Wee Jeck Seng (Tanjung Piai)
Datuk Ir. Shahelmey Bin Yahya (Putatan)
Datuk Suhaimi Bin Nasir (Libaran)
Datuk Seri Panglima Moktar Bin Radin (Kinabatangan)
Datuk Andi Muhammad Suryady Bin Bandy (Kalabakan).
11. For a party that highly promotes our “cooperation” with DAP to the Malays, and still boasts of being steady on our feet against Perikatan Nasional, our MPs have become like disabled mutes in Parliament.
12. What is becoming prevalent by the actions of our allies in the Unity Government is that, despite being in bed with UMNO, they are trying to project a clean image of themselves by asking for the AG’s explanation on his decision to withdraw the charges which led to the DNAA.
13. While they are distancing themselves in fear of being soiled in this unfortunate but necessary union, UMNO must realise that this “marriage” won’t last long.
14. And if we don’t prepare ourselves with strong contingencies, UMNO may soon be kicked out of the house into the streets like a two dollar slut.
The writer, Datuk Tengku Putra Haron Aminurrashid Jumat was the BN/UMNO State Assemblyman for Kempas N47 (2013-2018), Johor.